Even as recently as a decade ago, ransomware attacks were considered predominantly to be a cybersecurity problem. While disruptive from a data loss perspective, they didn’t necessarily spell doomsday for targeted businesses.
However, as malicious actors grew in sophistication & efficacy, ransoms grew more profitable. Ransomware became a more imposing threat to organizations as a whole. No longer just for large enterprises, ransomware now targets small businesses as well.
With that said, protecting against, & ultimately defeating ransomware starts with understanding what it is, how & why it’s evolving, & the measures we are taking, inSync Computer Solutions, to stop it in its tracks.
What Is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a form of malicious software (malware) that leverages data encryption to extort organizations for substantial ransoms that, once paid, will theoretically restore access to and/or unencrypt affected data using a decryption key. Ransomware often gets an initial foothold in an organization’s environment when a user engages with a social engineering tactic such as a phishing email or watering hole attack.
In the case of most ransomware attacks, the encryption restricts access to critical files, systems, & applications. Refusal or failure to pay the demanded amount may result in permanent blockage of those assets, or leakage of valuable data to the cybercriminal underworld.
How Does Ransomware Work?
Ransomware isn’t especially complicated to code. The encryption functions exist natively on both Windows and Unix-based machines like macOS and Linux. Some attackers choose to package their own encryption framework to avoid detection by AV software, but there are plenty of open source projects for attackers to choose from.
Even worse, attackers can simply buy off-the-shelf malware to distribute to victims. Reports indicate that portals for accessing these kinds of services are proliferating & are accessible to the less-sophisticated hackers. Once an attacker has a ransomware project in hand, they only need to decide how to distribute it.
As with other forms of malware, typical infection vectors rely on socially engineering victims into downloading an infected file either from a website or via a phishing email. Often, an MS Office attachment or a malicious PDF file is used which, upon being opened, executes hidden code that in turn downloads the malware payload. In other cases, the ransomware could be the payload delivered by a script on a maliciously-crafted website or downloaded by a fake software installer.
Protection from Ransomware – A Multi-layered Solution
inSync Computer Solutions 3rd party software solution protects against Ransomware Attacks with:
- Best-in-Class Technology inSync’s recommended software solution sets the standard for modern security platforms with unparalleled visibility of what’s on your network and enterprise-grade automation & control. Rich AI models enable every endpoint and cloud workload to autonomously prevent, detect, and recover from threats in real time.
- Industry Recognition & Results Our solution is a leader in the enterprise security market. They have been recognized for their execution & innovation by authorities such as Gartner, & consistently lead the pack in testing & evaluations conducted by firms such as MITRE Engenuity and SE Labs.
- Measurable performance advantage It is committed to the success of our customers, from small IT shops to leading Fortune 10 enterprises. Our team trusts their MDR & DFIR experts to block & eradicate ransomware threats.
Our 3rd party software solution includes:
- 24/7/365 Security Operations Center with Threat Monitoring & Response
- Next Generation Anti-virus
- AI-Powered Monitoring & Mapping each running process for malicious behavior detecting thousands of virus & malware attack variants as well as diagnosing root causes.
- Endpoint Detection & Response automatically initiates remediation steps to isolate the threat & contain potential damage. Additional measures include system rollback to a previous & acceptable risk state.
- Remote Monitoring & Management
inSync’s 3rd Party Cloud Backup Protects Against Ransomware Attacks
- If your business falls victim to Ransomware & your all of your data has been encrypted, recovering your data is essential. Veeam’s data protection solution for cloud, virtual, and physical environments plus immutable backups from our Cloud provider offers ransomware protection in two clicks.
- Our 3rd party Cloud provider is a proud partner of Veeam & is fully compatible with Veeam Cloud Tier. Additionally, our 3rd party Cloud is certified as Veeam Ready – Object and Veeam Ready – Object with Immutability. Immutability is an important part of protecting backups from threats such as ransomware or stolen credentials by ensuring your backed up data is safe and secure for a specified timeframe.
Protecting against ransomware & other threats starts with multi-layered hardware & software security solutions & educating your users. Looking for some help in this area? Contact us today! (949) 837-5000 or email us KarenB@inSyncComputerSolutions.com